As the co-founder of Sustain, people always ask me: “So like, do you just carry a ton of condoms around all the time?”
The answer is YES. I carry condoms around with me just like I carry lipstick, credit cards and tampons, but not just because I started a condom company.
Here are the ten reason every woman should carry condoms always:
- 1 in 4 Americans will contract an STD.
- Among unmarried women in their 20s, 70% of pregnancies are unintended.
- Only 21% of sexually active single women use condoms regularly.
- 1 in 4 college freshmen will contract an STD by the end of their first year of college.
- 16 - 24 year olds account for over half of all newly diagnosed STDs.
- People in their early 20s have the highest reported cases of syphilis and HIV.
- In the US there are 20 million new cases of STDs reported annually (that’s over 54,000 cases per day)!
- “I’m so upset we used a condom last night.” -said no one ever
- Condoms are no longer evidence of prostitution (Yes, this was recently very real.)
- The U.S. has the highest rates of STDs in the industrialized world.
As young, smart, successful men and women, we are failing ourselves by leaving our sexual health in someone else’s hands. As women, we especially need to overcome the ridiculous and dated stigma attached to buying and carrying condoms, and get on top of our sexual health.
Meika Hollender, Co-Founder, Sustain Condoms