There are so many articles online devoted to just how hard it is for women to have orgasms. Fair enough. It’s a big issue. But we wanted to delve into the happier world of accidental or unexpected orgasms. We realize most of this info is anecdotal, not scientific. But all of it is fantastic. Also? We’re big fans of #4.
1. Ab workouts. This, people, is what is unofficially known as the coregasm. And this one has actually been studied and even written up in the journal of Sexual and Relationship Therapy. Basically there are women out there who climax when working out, especially when doing abdominal exercise. The top pleasure generator in this category? The “captain’s chair” which you might know if you hit the gym. Up to 15 percent of women can experience orgasms from physical activity. Kind of makes you want to work out.
2. Kegels. While most women are doing kegels to help them have an eventual orgasm, some actually report they orgasm while they do their kegels. Win win.
3. Horseback Riding. Ok this is like straight out of bad erotica or a romance novel, but apparently it’s true. Some women report orgasming as they bounce around on a big hulking animal. Still others say no way this can happen; you’re all bunched up in uncomfortable pants and mainly bouncing on your butt. It varies woman to woman, so why not saddle up?
4. Committed Relationships. Call us suckers, but we are charmed to learn that practice with a partner apparently does make perfect. There are a number of studies out there to back this up, including one involving 24,000 college students which found that about 40 percent of women had an orgasm during their most recent casual encounter. In comparison, 75 percent of women had an orgasm the last time they had sex while in a committed relationship.
5. Biking. Remember that study about coregasms? Well there are actually several types of physical exercise associated with exercise-induced orgasms or EIO, not just ab work. Bicycling clocks in at 15.8 percent effective. So hop on and ride.
6. Motorcycles and other vibrating rides. For people who tend to be pushed over the edge by buzzing, this makes sense. You don’t have to strap on a helmet and hit the open road if you don’t want to. Try an amusement park ride, a speed boat, or anything else bumpy.
7. Massage. Men aren’t the only ones who get a happy ending at the masseuse. Most tales of women orgasming during massage—mini climaxes and full blown whoppers—tend to involve when the massage therapist (male or female, it doesn’t seem to matter) works on the back--especially the lower part. But not always; some woman manage them during foot massages during pedicures—thanks to those vibrating chairs!
8. Yogaaaah! While this is somewhat hard to imagine, 20 percent of women who experience EIO have it happen during yoga. Brings new meaning to the word OM.
9. Sneezing fit. The very idea kind of makes you excited for allergy season, but the link between orgasm and sneezing is actually a medical condition, likely due to a faulty connection in the autonomic nervous system. That’s the system that exercises unconscious control of, among other things, heart rate, digestion and pupil dilation. Be careful what you wish for.
10. Active imagination AKA “thinking off.” Some women can have such intensely imagined sexual fantasies that they orgasm just thinking them through—hands free. It’s kind of like a wet dream but you’re wide awake.
So what are you waiting for? Time to think, couple off, do yoga, horseback ride, hop on a bike, and certainly work on your abs. You just never know what might bring on that accidental, unexpected orgasm.