When preparing for great sex, certain steps can be taken to put you in the mood, from a confidence-boosting outfit to a slow, sensual playlist. But what about the food you eat at dinner before getting to, ahem, dessert? Some foods are widely considered to be aphrodisiacs, stimulating sexual desire and heightening your sex drive, but some believe this magical quality is a made-up myth entirely. The truth? It’s both!
Scientifically, it has never been proven that food stimulates the sex organs directly (and no-- we can’t use your story about the beach-sex-after-a-fried-oyster-shack as scientific proof....yet), but certain foods do prompt your body to react in a certain way, which can contribute to an excellent sexual experience.
Many foods have been given the “aphrodisiac” label, but some of the most commonly known include spicy chili peppers, figs, red wine, asparagus, watermelon, strawberries, and of course-- oysters. When deciding what recipe to feature, we polled our Instagram community, and spicy chili peppers won over oysters by 64%! Spicy chilies contain capsaicin, which is not only the cause for the spicy sensation in the food, but releases adrenaline and endorphins to make you feel stimulated and energetic. This salad also includes:
Strawberries: Packed with vitamin C, which can positively affect the production of estrogen and testosterone. They also contain several minerals like magnesium, potassium, folate, which can support a strong sex drive.
Asparagus: Contains vitamin E, which can increase the oxygen and blood flow that travels to our genitals. There is also vitamin B and folate, which can strengthen sex drive, and high levels of potassium which can affect hormone levels.
Walnuts: Your source of omega-3 fatty acids, which can raise the production of hormones that can ultimately lead you to feeling frisky. It also contains zinc, which helps boost testosterone.
Salmon: The ultimate mood booster! Salmon is full of omega-3 fatty acids, which can raise your serotonin levels and make you feel good.
The salad doesn’t contain dairy, mainly because the synthetic hormones found in dairy products, including milk and cheese, can tamper with our testosterone and estrogen levels… but also, gas. This meal is fresh, crunchy, sweet, and savory, and will prepare you for a sexy night ahead (but hey, if you’re looking for a bagel with cream cheese the morning after, we feel you.)
SUSTAIN’S SEXY SALAD
Yup, that’s really what we’re calling it. It’s like Elaine’s Big Salad from Seinfeld, but different!
- Fresh greens of your choice
- 2 salmon fillets (one for you, one for your date!)
- A bunch of fresh, grilled asparagus
- A handful of bright, juicy strawberries
- A cup of crushed walnuts
- A drizzle of chili oil (generous or sparingly, depending on your preference)
- 1 squeeze of lemon
- Grill or bake your asparagus at °425 with a tablespoon of chili oil, a bit of cracked pepper, and a dash of salt. Cook for 10-15 mins, depending on the girth.
- Slice thin lemon slices and place on top of your salmon filets, add a bit of salt and pepper, and 2 tablespoons of oil, wrapped in tin foil. Bake at °375 for 15-20 mins, or grill for 15 mins.
- Fill your favorite bowl with your favorite greens (for this recipe, we like spinach!) and toss in some chopped strawberries, crushed walnuts, and your cooked asparagus and salmon.
- Drizzle on the chili oil and massage into the greens with tongs (or, if you’re home alone, maybe even your hands? Just make sure to wash your hands before getting frisky, we don’t want any foreplay that’s literally too hot to handle!)
- Add a fresh squeeze of lemon, and voila! Enjoy with a glass of red wine and the partner of your choice.
We hope this meal is just the start to your evening! Play safe, have fun, and let us know in the comments if this dish helped heat up the bedroom.