Believe it or not, Sustain is turning one! To celebrate the milestone, we thought there would no better time to bring you a few more sexy sustainable products to help you #dowhatsnatural. Introducing: Our new, natural, organic personal lubricants.
We’ve talked a lot about the benefits of our sustainable condoms compared to traditional brands, so now we’d like to introduce the incredible benefits of using natural, organic lubricants. Trust me when I say, there’s a lot you should know.
Know what petrochemicals are? You might not, but if you’ve ever used most of the personal lubricants currently on the market, chances are, they have affected you. According to the World Health Organization, these petrochemicals damage genital and rectal cell tissue.
Another thing you need to know about when it comes to lubricants is Bacterial Vagnosis (BV). If you’ve never heard of BV before, you’re not alone; most women haven’t! Here’s what you need to know:
- BV occurs when the normal balance of good bacteria in the vagina is disrupted and replaced with an overgrowth of certain types of harmful bacteria
- 2 in 5 women have it, but 84% don’t know they have it
- Women who have BV are 60% more likely to contract an STI
- They are also 3x more likely to infect their partners
Here’s the good news: You can look all you want, but you’ll never find a single petrochemical in Sustain’s personal lubricants. Risking BV? I don’t think so.
Now onto the stuff that might sound a little more familiar: Parabens and Glycerin. Two things that – like petrochemicals -- you definitely don’t want going inside your body. Parabens, known mostly as toxins in personal care and cosmetics, cause many of the same health effects when found in personal lubricants. And when high concentrations of glycerin enter the vagina, cellular damage can occur and once cells are damaged they are less able to protect the body from contracting an STD or STI.
The solution seemed simple to us: Create a 95% organic, natural, biocompatible personal lubricant. So that’s exactly what we did. And they are:
- Made with 95% Organic Ingredients
- Recommended by medical professionals.
- Naturally free of petroleum, glycerin, parabens, silicone, dyes & harsh ingredients.
- 100% vegan and gluten-free
- Not tested on animals.
- Latex and polyisoprene compatible
- Safe for toys and throughout pregnancy
- Organic compliant food grade flavoring
- Available in Unscented and Lavender
Go ahead and check ‘em out here and of course, #dowhatsnatural.
Meika Hollender, Co-Founder
P.S. If you want to hear more about the benefits of natural personal lubricants watch Jane Fonda talk all things natural lubricants on her new show Grace and Frankie #nowtrending
A note about the cardboard packaging: It is not ideal from a sustainability standpoint. Here's why we did it: we surveyed a lot of people and also asked our retailers, and many people felt the tube alone would not stand out enough on shelf. We needed to put it inside a box to increase shelf visibility as well as communicate our eco/safety benefits.
So it is not ideal, but we figured it was more important to make sure people are putting safe non-toxic lubricants inside their body and use additional packaging, than have women buying traditional brands.