We have to talk.
A few things have come to our attention lately and it occurs to us that maybe no one is thinking as much about what we’re putting in our vaginas as we should. So we just want to spend a few minutes explaining what “free of harmful chemicals” means when it comes to sexual wellness products.
A little context: People are more and more into personal wellness. We love this. We’re all about eating well including organic food grown without the use of harmful chemicals. We love people who get their sweat on—on a yoga mat, in a spin class, in bed. Whatever floats your boat and gets you healthy and strong. We love that there is a growing awareness that what we put on our skin can and does get into our bodies. And we’re super pumped that the current wellness dialogue has as much room for studies that prove teenage girls who switched to non-toxic cosmetics show a big drop in the levels of hormone disrupting chemicals in their urine as it does for this totally amusing video making fun of people who love and use coconut oil for everything. (Full disclosure: we love coconut oil, just not on latex.)
And we’re over the moon that more people are talking about periods, and why organic cotton tampons are a must because they’re the healthiest option for your vagina. We’re all for healthy vaginas.
Which is why when we heard feedback that our core customers—the peeps who really do want to just #dowhatsnatural—don’t always get what we mean when we say our products are free of harmful chemicals, we wanted to spell it out. Here’s what we mean:
- We don’t believe potentially harmful chemicals belong in products made for such intimate use. Period.
- Our Fair Trade rubber condoms do not contain carcinogens called nitrosamines.
- Our condoms are also free of synthetic fragrance, odor masking agents, flavors, and spermicides.
- Our personal lubricants are free of petrochemicals that can damage genital and rectal cell tissue and interfere with your natural vaginal ecology (how much do you love that phrase?).
- Our lube is also free of paraben preservatives, glycerin, silicone, dyes, and any harsh ingredients that can mess with that all-important delicate vaginal ecology.
- Want proof of all of the above? We got tested—and certified. We’re Fair Trade, vegan, not tested on animals, B-Corporation, non-GMO, and FSC-Certified. The lubricants are even made with 95% organic ingredients and are gluten-free.
So really all “free of harmful chemicals” means is that we’ve got you (and your vagina) covered in more ways than one.